Tasting: December 9, 2014
Style: Stout (with chocolate and raspberries)
Beer #: 665
How could I not be drawn to this beer? The name alone, “Big Lushious”, basically summarizes everything I look for in a beer. Lushious (or luscious) as in rich and velvety, then add the adjective “big” and wow, I’m in. Of course, that only boosts my expectations.
Big Lushious really is a wow on the first few sips. Creamy chocolate, thick body and a piercing bright raspberry flavor. Some have speculated that this is a blend of Founders’ summer release Rubaeus (raspberry ale) and Founders’ chocolate-like Breakfast Stout. To me, the flavors have melded so nicely and I can’t put myself behind this claim. Mouthfeel builds a nice stickiness and ABV at 7.5% is surprisingly light for what comes across as a full-bodied stout. I can’t say that my last sip was as enjoyable as my first as a bomber may prove to have worn my tastebuds into surrender. I’m glad I gave Big Lushious a whirl. 89 points.
Big Lushious marks the eleventh release in Founders’ Backstage Series. The series features pub favorites reproduced for the masses – and by masses, I mean the select few that either get their names on lists; get to a beer store minutes after the truck leaves or find a dusty one in a store that should never have had it in the first place.
1. Blushing Monk (2011) 88 points
2. Canadian Breakfast Stout (2011) 98 points
3. Curmudgeon’s Better Half (2012) 95 points
4. Frangelic Mountain Brown (2012) 90 points
5. Bolt Cutter (2012) 95 points
6. Doom (2013) disappointed that I missed this one
7. Mango Magnifico (2013) didn’t really have interest in this one
8. Sweet Repute (2013) have a bottle ready to open.
9. Smoked Porter (2014) no interest.
10. Dissenter (2014) 93 points
11. Big Luscious (2014)