Tasting: October 13, 2016
Style: Russian Imperial Stout
Beer #: 999
Here I am, five years in and closing in on the 1,000 beer mark. It’s been a long journey and lots of beer. Lots of time spent staring at beer in stores. Plenty of torturing my family with quick stops at promising looking places while on vacation. Maybe a few brewery trips tossed in for good measure. However, many of the beer in my top 100 came by way of trade and this bottle of Marshal Zhukov is the perfect microcosm of how my brain works.
1. Someone posts a picture of Marshal Zhukov on a Facebook page.
2. Seems like many people comment on how awesome this beer is.
3. Therefore, I buy into hype and convince myself that I need to find this beer
4. For some reason, I add beer to my ISO list on Beer Exchange.
5. As a result, I field and decline ridiculous trade offers. “hey man, I’ll give you a Marshal for 2 Parabolas.
6. Consequently, I email an old trading partner and get it done fairly.
7. Let sit in basement and fret over opening due to this being the only bottle I have.
8. Finally, I make second trade with same partner so I have a back up (yes, I have two).
If you want to get involved in trading beer here’s an excellent Thrilllist Article on the topic
Finally, let’s get onto the beer.
By now you probably know that I can’t leave this label alone without some commentary. Here’s a guy with a chest full of medals and the commentary that he is arguably the greatest general of World War II. In Russian circles seems like he is a military hero comparable to (say) Patton. Interesting to read that Zhukov had prepared a preemptive strike against Germany previous to their entry into WWII. Especially noteworthy, Zhukov was one of the architects in the planning of Russia’s involvement in the war.
First of all, lots of dark fruit, raisins and plums. Underlying licorice and molasses. Since the ABV is 11%, I was expecting a boozy feel yet it was well concealed. In conclusion, Marshal Zhukov the stout gets 93 points in my book. Rather nice stout for the occasion. And onto number 1,000.