Tasting: October 5, 2014
Style: Stout Imperial
Beer #: 626
What’s interesting about Beelzebub Stout from The Alchemist?:
· How did I get it: Came to me from a friend that is obsessed (lucky for me) with The Alchemist and has made the 10 hour round trip to/from Burlington, VT a couple of times in the last few months.
· Vitals: 8.0% ABV, IBU unknown, Dry-hopped with Citra Hops
· Name: While Beezlebub is another name for the Devil, the bee-looking insect on the label is actually known as a Mallophora Leschenaulti or a Beezlebub Bee-Eater (actually it’s a fly – mimicking the appearance of a bumble bee).
· Availability: Beezlebub stout is limited to Vermont and only in a small area around Burlington, Vermont. Even at that – good luck finding it. Most people seek out its famous kin – Heady Topper.
· Other acclaim: 93 points Beer Advocate.
Surprisingly hoppy citrus busts its way through some very potent roasted grain flavor. No coffee, no chocolate – just roasted grains. Hoppy bitter finish. Totally digging it – 92 points.