Other Half 2nd Anniversary Imperial IPA
Tasting: February 18, 2016
Style: Imperial IPA
Beer # 898
Who were the top five “buzz-worthy” breweries of 2015. Feel free to share your picks…here are mine in no particular order:
1. Trillium, Boston Massachusetts. Two locations cranking out one pillowy soft but pithy IPA after another
2. Tree House, Monson, Massachusetts. Juice Bombs Baby! A brewery scribbling out of the lines between citrus and beer
3. Other Half, Brooklyn, New York. Big muscular IPAs with big ABVs to match.
4. Tired Hands, Ardmore, Pennsylvania. A late entry to last year’s list. Lines are growing longer with each release
5. Grimm Artisan Ales, Brooklyn, New York. A couple of can releases and a barrel-aged version of Double Negative created a big stir.
Honorable mention to: Hoof Hearted of Marengo, Ohio. Seeing a bunch of their beer changing hands on trade sites.
My under the radar brewer of the year: Singlecut Beersmiths of Astoria, Queens. They will explode at some point, I’m hoping that doesn’t interfere with my regular supply.
Hard to believe that its only been two years for Other Half Brewing. I had my first beer from this Brooklyn brewery when they were just months old and their potential was strong and their reputation growing. I’ve had a number of beers from Other Half and many carry that same strong alcohol by volume (ABV) and resinous hop profile. Other Half 2nd Anniversary is no exception. Murky and rich orange/red on the pour, it delivers strong tropical fruit like mango and pineapple. Some pine flavor. The ABV cuts through the malt like a knife. I’ll put this anniversary brew at 93 points.
My first tasting from Other Half – November 24, 2014 All I Can See Is Green – 93 points